Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Shoes!

I love shoes. In fact, I think I might like the act of shoe shopping more than the shoes. I often shoe shop online, constantly saving items for later or adding them to my cart, but never buying. The problem is that shoes are expensive.

So that brings me to my running dilemma, what should I wear on my feet?

Lately, I have been rockin' the Vibram Five Fingers. (Those are my feet.)

Totally funky and fun, right? I really like the idea of barefoot running and these shoes help me do that without getting quite so dirty and beat up. On the other hand, I haven't gone more than 4 miles in them. Plus, one has started to squeak, the seam started to come undone (which I suppose I could fix), and one of my toes seems to get beat up more than the others. They also don't keep my feet very warm.

My other option is the Nike Free's I've had for a few years now. They kind of look like this, but more purple and pink.

I like them since they allow me to wear socks to keep my ankles warm and they are pretty comfy. Unfortunately, they are pretty old so I would probably need to get a new pair which means spending $80.


I'd like to note that I am not really following the rules on how often you should change your running shoes. I like wearing minimalist shoes, but I've never really clocked the miles required to train for and complete an actual marathon. Will my shoe collection be sufficient?

My plan is to start out with the Vibram's since I have been running in those for a few months. The tricky part will be seeing how/when/if I will switch to Nike Free's. I guess it will be a fun little science experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment